Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch……

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Friday night while I was making a fire outside in the pit, Madelyn rang the dinner bell (giant triangle on the porch) to call us all in for dinner. It was at this moment that I realized I was actually spending my weekend at a Texas ranch. Earlier in the week our friend Heidi invited Madelyn and me to spend the weekend at her families’ ranch somewhere in south Texas. So Friday Madelyn, Heidi, Corby, and I all piled in the Civic to embark on a two day journey into the Texas wilderness. I think I may have misunderstood the amount of “wilderness” we would actually be getting into. After a three hour car ride (and an awesome purchase of a camouflage hat!) on roads with no distinct characteristics, we finally arrived to a gate that had an “H” on it. If I had to find this ranch again, even if I were at gunpoint, I don’t think I could do it. Especially at night, where the only marker to the driveway is a small green reflector.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Once we arrived we cooked some tacos, sat outside by the fire pit, and played some games. It rained all night long, which made for an interesting morning, and a Honda Civic covered in mud. NOTE: If you are planning on going to a ranch, do not take a Honda Civic. We put on some boots (see pictures below) and spent the day petting the horses, admiring the long horns, and looking for alligators. No joke. ACTUAL ALLIGATORS. Unfortunately we were unable to find any alligators in the rivers and streams on the ranch, but we were able to see a pack of wild pigs. Am I naive? Up until this point in my life I was under the impression that there were two types of pigs. You have your “bacon” pigs which live on farms, and then you have the “Tusks” pigs that live in the wild. These pigs on the ranch were “bacon” pigs, but were wild. It blew my mind. I think I have learned something new everyday we have lived in Texas. By the time I am done here I will be full of all sorts of useless Trivial Pursuit knowledge.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday night we ate at a local restaurant called Crowfutts known for their hamburgers. The Crowfutts specialty is a cheeseburger with a fried egg on it, and a side of tots. Madelyn, being the daughter of a cardiologist, advised me not to order the special. It was a nice dinner because we got there just in time for the sunset over the bay.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

We left Sunday afternoon and headed back to Austin, in a Civic that looked like it survived a nuclear holocaust. The last thing I learned on our trip, and a great piece of advise, was a sign I saw on the side of the road. It read:

“Whats missing in Ch_ _ ch? UR!”

It was a nice weekend at the Ranch, and we had a really great time. It was nice to get out of town for the weekend, and go do something completely new. Enjoy the pictures!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

3 comments:

lacy said...

Hey Cody, I really like this last picture with you in your rockin camo hat. Because...what's that in your hand? A golf club? Were you near a course and if so, did you use the horses instead of carts? (I think that's an awesome idea by the way.) If it's not a golf club, is it possibly one of those horse whip things that jockeys use? That would also be pretty awesome if you were riding the horses and using that whip thing. Also...I liked your note about the Church sign, but apparently Texans write the words with accents, too because the way you wrote it, it would spell Churrch. Anyway, keep up the awesome blogging!

ebv said...

Duuuuuude--you have totally inspired me to be a better blogger and to catalogue the interesting things I've learned in Provo. You think an alligator-infested ranch is wild, try a hot-cocoa party at the Helaman Halls Dorms! Two words: crazy & scary. Seriously. Ditto to what Lacy said, although, clubs, a ball and horses sounds more like polo than redneck golf...

Cody said...

It was some sort of golf club handle walking stick. Or maybe it wasn't, but thats what I was using it as.

Texas has got nothin' on Provo as far as strange happenings. I think you should definitly write a blog about Provo, but you should do it anonymously. That way you can say whatever you want.